Four million Jewish Holocaust victims named
Jerusalem: Israel`s Yad Vashem Holocaust
museum announced on Tuesday that it has managed to identify
two-thirds of the estimated six million Jewish victims of the
"In the past decade we have succeeded in adding about 1.5
million victims` names to the names database," Yad Vashem
chairman Avner Shalev said in a statement announcing the
database now contains more than four million names.
"The Germans sought not only to destroy the Jews, but to
obliterate any memory of them," said Shalev.
"One of Yad Vashem`s central missions since its
foundation, the recovery of each and every victim`s name and
personal story, has resulted in relentless efforts to restore
the names and identities of as many of the six million Jews
murdered by the Nazis and their accomplices as possible."
Yad Vashem said about 2.2 million names came from the
testimonies of relatives and friends of the victims, while the
rest came from archives and the research of historians.
However some two million names remain missing and finding
them was particularly problematic in east European countries,
the former soviet Union and Greece, where there were not proper records of Jewish communities or the deportations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!