French killer plotted to attack Indian embassy
Paris: Two months after he was shot dead by French special forces, a 23-year-old Algerian origin terrorist was found to have been plotting to attack the Indian embassy here on the direction of his Taliban handlers in Pakistan.
Quoting sources from the French Internal Intelligence and the Special Forces, Le Monde reported that Mohamed Merah`s Taliban handlers in Pakistan had tasked him to attack the Indian mission here.
"That was the target given him by the Taliban who prepared him for jihad during his training in Pakistan in the summer of 2011," the paper quoted sources as saying.
Merah was killed after police and special forces laid an almost 32-hour siege of his apartment in Toulouse, after his armed attacks on a Jewish school and killing of Army personnel outside their barracks on March 15.
During the siege, the terrorist had long chats with the policemen surrounding his house and contacts with them over the phone, which were recorded and are now part of the judicial dossier.
Merah told the police that he had dropped the plan to attack the Indian mission due to difficulty of the enterprise.
He told police that he had attended jihad camps in Pakistan and undergone al Qaeda training.
Merah had long been known to the French authorities as a petty criminal but his links to Islamist extremism drew attention at a later stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof