Fresh radioactive water leakage at Japan`s nuclear plant
Tokyo: Radioactive water may have leaked again into the ground from a storage tank at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in northeast Japan, the plant`s operator reported on Sunday.
The fresh leak is the latest in a series of troubles at the nuclear power plant, hit by a massive earthquake and an ensuing tsunami in 2011.
The leak comes a day after the plant`s operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) said about 120 tonnes of contaminated water might have escaped from another of the seven underground reservoir tanks.
TEPCO said, however, the amount of the fresh water leak was extremely small and the contaminated water was unlikely to flow into the sea.
In March 2011, Japan was hit by a massive 9.0-magnitude quake which caused a tsunami, claiming over 15,000 lives and triggering a number of explosions at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant.
The tsunami caused a partial meltdown at three of the nuclear plant`s reactors. Radiation leaked into the atmosphere, soil and seawater, making the accident the world`s worst nuclear disaster after Chernobyl.
Japan will need at least 40 years to recover fully from the nuclear catastrophe, according to scientists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read