Full-body scanners to be put in British airports
London: Prime Minister Gordon Brown says full-body scanners will be introduced in Britain`s airports in the wake of the failed Christmas Day bombing attempt of a US airliner.
Brown told the British Broadcasting Corp. on Sunday that all airport security would be increased in Britain, and all passengers even those only transiting through the country will have their hand luggage screened for traces of explosives.
The suspect in the failed Northwest Airlines bombing had changed planes in The Netherlands and gone through security but not through a full-body scanner.
Britain`s main airport operator BAA says it has ordered full-body scanners and would introduce them as soon as possible. BAA operates Europe`s busiest airport, Heathrow, as well as other British airports.
Heathrow and Manchester airports have had trials using the full-body scanners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic can still achieve more in football, Eden Hazard on the Swede's Euro 2016 exit
- Xiaomi launches Qicycle, a foldable electric smart bike
- Manoj Bajpayee's 'Budhia Singh – Born to run' showcases the spirit of world's youngest marathon from Odisha – Watch
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army