Fury over racist ‘Pearl Harbor’ tweets
London: USA’s win over Japan in the women`s gold medal football at the London Olympics was blemished after some of the fans posted a barrage of racist tweets over Pearl Harbor.
Many took the opportunity to claim that the US’ 2-1 win over Japan was a revenge for the Pearl Harbor attack, and made reference to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs dropped by the American military in World War 2.
Before the match ended one of the Olympic fan wrote the “game would end the same way WWII did. With Hiroshima and Nagasaki burnt to the ground.”
Coincidentally, the game and the tweets fell on the 67th anniversary of the Nagasaki atomic bomb attack, which killed 70,000 people on August 9, 1945.
“This was payback for the USS Arizona!! Take that you Japs!” The Daily Mail quoted a user, as tweeting.
Another person tweeted: “Watching this game makes me think of how much I really do hate Asians.”
One of the users tweeted how winning a gold medal in the women`s football meant the US was “almost even” with Japan for the December 7, 1941 Pearl Harbour attack.
But many sane Twitter users hit back at the racist tweets, arguing the women`s game had nothing to do with either attack.
“I wasn`t aware Japan`s women`s soccer team were the ones who planned Pearl Harbor,” said one of the users.
While another wrote: “Just because the US won a gold medal in soccer doesn`t mean you have a free pass to make racist jokes about Pearl Harbor grow up.”
The US team`s win made up for the heartache of last year`s World Cup final when they lost to Japan on penalties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!