Gaddafi must be tried by ICC: Merkel
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel said
on Saturday that Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi should be tried by
the International Criminal Court in The Hague.
"Gaddafi should have a trial according to the law,
something he never did with his opponents," Merkel said when
asked by the weekly Bild am Sonntag whether she was in favour
of such a trial.
Merkel whose country would not take part in the military
campaign that led to Gaddafi`s ouster did not rule out sending
German troops to the north African country as part of a UN
"If we`re asked, we`ll obviously look into what we can
do," she said in the interview which will be published on
But she added: "The new Libyan government must decide on
what support it needs and I think that this is first and
foremost an issue for the United Nations, the Arab League and
the African Union."
Merkel said she expected Libya to set up a democratic
"In Germany alone, we froze billions of euros in assets
of the Gaddafi regime. This money is there for the people and
may very well be used for reconstruction."
Germany abstained in a UN Security Council vote in March
which adopted Resolution 1973 that authorised the use of force
to protect Libyan civilians and later would not join NATO
operations in the north African country.
It was the only European Union country and NATO member to
do so, drawing criticism from its allies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’