Gaddafi must be tried by ICC: Merkel
Berlin: German Chancellor Angela Merkel said
on Saturday that Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi should be tried by
the International Criminal Court in The Hague.
"Gaddafi should have a trial according to the law,
something he never did with his opponents," Merkel said when
asked by the weekly Bild am Sonntag whether she was in favour
of such a trial.
Merkel whose country would not take part in the military
campaign that led to Gaddafi`s ouster did not rule out sending
German troops to the north African country as part of a UN
"If we`re asked, we`ll obviously look into what we can
do," she said in the interview which will be published on
But she added: "The new Libyan government must decide on
what support it needs and I think that this is first and
foremost an issue for the United Nations, the Arab League and
the African Union."
Merkel said she expected Libya to set up a democratic
"In Germany alone, we froze billions of euros in assets
of the Gaddafi regime. This money is there for the people and
may very well be used for reconstruction."
Germany abstained in a UN Security Council vote in March
which adopted Resolution 1973 that authorised the use of force
to protect Libyan civilians and later would not join NATO
operations in the north African country.
It was the only European Union country and NATO member to
do so, drawing criticism from its allies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city