‘Gender disparity’ in pay more among Republicans
Washington: Republican and Democratic female staffers earn less than their male counterparts, a survey has revealed.
According to a new National Journal survey of LegiStorm salary data, female House GOP staffers make 84 cents for every dollar their male counterparts earn.
The survey revealed that in both parties and chambers, the comparative gap between the salaries is as wide as 86 cents to the dollar for female staffers for Senate Republicans, and as narrow as 97 cents to the dollar for women staffing House Democratic offices, The Politico reports.
Those gaps translate to a difference of about 10,000 dollars in average annual pay for female House GOP staffers and a difference of about 1,400 dollars for female House Democrat staffers, the survey finds.
The survey notes there is a "gender disparity in high-level congressional jobs" that can partly explain the pay gaps and also finds larger numbers of men in presumably higher-paying leadership offices, "especially among Republicans."
Gender pay gaps came under congressional scrutiny not long ago in the form of the Paycheck Fairness Act, which died in the Senate last month. Democrats pushing the bill frequently cited the fact that, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, women make 77 cents for every dollar a man earns, while Republicans "warn[ed] of potential adverse effects on businesses" they feared could result from the act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi