‘Gender disparity’ in pay more among Republicans
Washington: Republican and Democratic female staffers earn less than their male counterparts, a survey has revealed.
According to a new National Journal survey of LegiStorm salary data, female House GOP staffers make 84 cents for every dollar their male counterparts earn.
The survey revealed that in both parties and chambers, the comparative gap between the salaries is as wide as 86 cents to the dollar for female staffers for Senate Republicans, and as narrow as 97 cents to the dollar for women staffing House Democratic offices, The Politico reports.
Those gaps translate to a difference of about 10,000 dollars in average annual pay for female House GOP staffers and a difference of about 1,400 dollars for female House Democrat staffers, the survey finds.
The survey notes there is a "gender disparity in high-level congressional jobs" that can partly explain the pay gaps and also finds larger numbers of men in presumably higher-paying leadership offices, "especially among Republicans."
Gender pay gaps came under congressional scrutiny not long ago in the form of the Paycheck Fairness Act, which died in the Senate last month. Democrats pushing the bill frequently cited the fact that, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, women make 77 cents for every dollar a man earns, while Republicans "warn[ed] of potential adverse effects on businesses" they feared could result from the act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez