Germany urges Iran to free pastor on death row
Berlin: Germany`s top human rights official is urging Iran to release a pastor sentenced to death for converting to Christianity.
Markus Loening said on Wednesday the German government is extremely concerned about Yousef Nadarkhani`s fate amid reports of his imminent execution.
Loening urged Tehran to "release Naderkhani, lift his death sentence and grant him a fair trial”.
He says an execution also breaches international obligations guaranteeing religious freedom.
Naderkhani, who is in his early 30s, converted to Christianity when he was 19 and later became a pastor in the Iranian city of Rasht. He was convicted of apostasy in 2010.
The US government called for his release last year and Germany summoned the Iranian ambassador to protest Naderkhani`s continued imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?