Greek forest fire rages near Athens
Athens: A large forest fire raged out of control on the northern outskirts of Athens on Saturday, sending thick clouds of smoke over the Greek capital as it burned homes and threatened three villages.
Fanned by strong winds, the fire broke out late Friday and spread to residential areas overnight, the fire brigade said. At least two homes were engulfed, a police source said.
Six airplanes, five helicopters, 35 fire engines and 150 firefighters were deployed to battle the flames.
Gale-force winds fanned more than 100 blazes across Greece in less than 24 hours on Friday. Another fire raged on the island of Zakynthos, in western Greece, without threatening homes, the fire brigade said.
Wildfires are frequent in Greece during the summer, often caused by high temperatures, drought or arson. Hundreds of fires raged across southern Europe in July, destroying thousands of hectares of forest and gutting dozens of homes.
Greece saw its deadliest wildfires in memory in 2007, when blazes on the island of Evia and the southern Peloponnese peninsula raged for more than 10 days, killing 65 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof