Guatemalan first lady to divorce for presidential bid
London: Guatemala’s first lady Sandra Torres de Colom is ending her eight-year marriage so she can seek to succeed her husband as president, according to a court official.
Guatemalan President Alvaro Colom and his wife have filed for divorce.
Judiciary spokesman Edwin Escobar said divorce proceedings began on Monday between Sandra and Alvaro, who cannot run for re-election, reports a newspaper.
If both parties agree, the divorce could be final in about a month.
Guatemala’s constitution bans close relatives of the president from running for the presidency.
Torres announced March 8 that she would be the presidential candidate of the governing National Unity for Hope party in the September election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match