Guatemalan first lady to divorce for presidential bid
London: Guatemala’s first lady Sandra Torres de Colom is ending her eight-year marriage so she can seek to succeed her husband as president, according to a court official.
Guatemalan President Alvaro Colom and his wife have filed for divorce.
Judiciary spokesman Edwin Escobar said divorce proceedings began on Monday between Sandra and Alvaro, who cannot run for re-election, reports a newspaper.
If both parties agree, the divorce could be final in about a month.
Guatemala’s constitution bans close relatives of the president from running for the presidency.
Torres announced March 8 that she would be the presidential candidate of the governing National Unity for Hope party in the September election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic