Guatemala`s ex-dictator Efrain Rios Montt gets 80 years in jail
Guatemala City: Guatemala`s former strongman Efrain Rios Montt was convicted Friday of genocide and crimes against humanity and sentenced to 80 years in prison.
His co-defendant, retired Gen. Jose Rodriguez Sanchez, was acquitted.
The court revoked Rios Montt`s house arrest and ordered him taken to prison.
Rios Montt, 86, and the 67-year-old Rodriguez were accused in the deaths of 1,771 Ixil Indians between March 1982 and August 1983 as part of a counter-insurgency campaign.
This is the first time any Guatemalan ruler has been called to account for the massacres and atrocities of the country`s 1960-1996 civil war.
Rios Montt presided over the bloodiest phase of a conflict that claimed more than 200,000 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail