Gulf oil firms need `top to bottom reforms`: US panel
Washington: The three companies involved
in the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster lacked a safety culture and
need a complete overhaul, the head of a US presidential probe
"Apparently, there was not a culture of safety on that
rig... BP, Halliburton and Transocean are in need of
top-to-bottom reform," said William Reilly, co-chair of the
presidential oil spill commission.
"We know a safety culture has to come from the top,"
Reilly added, as he opened the second day of a hearing into
the April 20 explosion on a BP-leased platform off the
The seven-member panel has been tasked by US President
Barack Obama with finding out the cause of the accident which
killed 11 rig workers and sparked the biggest maritime oil
spill in US history.
Reilly said the accident was caused by a "culture of
complacency" and a "sweep of bad decisions" by the three
companies, who were working together to drill a well more than
a mile beneath the surface of the Gulf.
"There appeared to be a rush to completion of the
Macondo well and one has to ask where the drive came from that
made people determine they couldn`t wait for sound cement or
the right centralisers," said Reilly.
The commission`s lead investigators have said BP took
"unnecessary risks" that may have led to the explosion, and
have also fingered the cement developed and provided by oil
services giant Halliburton to seal the well and keep flammable
hydrocarbons from rushing up the riser pipe to the rig.
The probe team also said Transocean and BP workers on
the rig did not recognise warnings on a computer, which should
have allowed them to take action to avert the deadly blast on
April 20. The rig sank two days later.
But lead investigator Fred Bartlit said he found no
evidence BP and its partners had sacrificed safety for
profits, putting him at odds with lawmakers, who have accused
the oil companies of cutting corners to finish drilling the
well, which was reportedly costing them USD 1.5 million a day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi