Hamas rejects US demand for recognising Israel
Gaza: The Hamas rulers of the Gaza Strip Saturday condemned as intervening in internal affairs a US demand that the Palestinian government recognise Israel.
"Hamas does not rule out that the recent visit of the US National Security Adviser Susan Rice to Ramallah last week was meant to spoil the Palestinian national reconciliation," Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum said in a press release.
He called for accelerating efforts to implement the reconciliation agreement signed last month between his movement and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas`s Fatah party, Xinhua reported citing the release.
During her meeting with Abbas Thursday, Rice reiterated the US`s policy that any Palestinian government must unambiguously and explicitly be committed to non-violence, recognition of the state of Israel, and acceptance of previous agreements and obligations between the two parties.
Abbas previously reiterated that the future unity government would stick to his policies of non-violence and recognising Israel.
Late in April, rival Palestinian Hamas movement and Abbas`s Fatah party announced a reconciliation agreement to end a Palestinian political rift that started when Hamas took over Gaza in June 2007 after routing forces loyal to Abbas who now rules the West Bank.
Under the agreement, which is opposed by Israel, Abbas would start discussions to form a unity government within five weeks and call for general elections six months after forming the new administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das