Hamas welcomes Erdogan`s resolve to go ahead with Gaza visit
Gaza: Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh welcomed Tuesday Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan`s determination to visit the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip despite US pressure.
Erdogan`s decision to visit the Palestinian territory "emphasizes that the era of US tutelage has ended", said Haniyeh in a statement issued by his office, reported Xinhua. Haniyeh is currently visiting Qatar.
Erdogan announced Tuesday that he is going ahead with his visit, scheduled next month after he finishes a trip to Washington on May 16.
On Sunday, the US Secretary of State John Kerry met Erdogan and advised him to cancel the Gaza trip.
The US, Israel and the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) held that such a visit would bolster Hamas, which took over the coastal enclave after routing forces loyal to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in 2007.
Israel imposed a blockade on the Gaza Strip in a bid to isolate Hamas, the militant Islamic group that doesn`t recognize Israel.
In March, the US brokered an Israeli apology to Turkey as the first step to restore the diplomatic relations between its two Middle East allies to their track.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!