Heatwave in Australia, emergency services on alert
Sydney: Emergency and fire services in Australia have been put on high alert as temperatures are predicted to go over 40 degrees Celsius in large parts of the country, Xinhua reported on Thursday.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology, a severe heatwave has already settled over the northern parts of South Australia state and the south of Northern Territory. And the temperature is forecast to reach 46 degrees in Tarcoola town in South Australia`s north-west on Friday and 47 degrees on Monday.
Since Friday, Adelaide city has been witnessing temperatures of 41-42 degrees Celsius. The temperatures are expected to soar up to the 40s in Victoria`s north on Thursday and are expected to stay that high until early next week.
As a cold wave grips much of the northern hemisphere, the hot, northerly winds are also spreading further into western Queensland and New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania. Temperatures will remain above 40 degrees Celsius for the next six or seven days in many other inland parts of Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!