`Heavy fighting` between Sudan Army and Darfur rebels
Khartoum(Sudan): Heavy clashes between
the Sudanese Army and a coalition of armed groups in north
Darfur caused a number of casualties on both sides, the Army
and rebels said on Tuesday.
"An SAF (northern army) patrol was attacked on Sunday
by joint forces of the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) and
(Minni) Minnawi`s branch of the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) in
north Darfur," army spokesman Sawarmi Khaled Saad said to a news agency.
"The fighting resulted in a number of casualties and
people injured from both sides, but we don`t have the details
yet. SAF destroyed 10 of their vehicles."
JEM, the most heavily-armed of the Darfur rebel
groups, said in a statement late yesterday that the army had
attacked the Sagor area, northwest of El-Fasher, with Antonov
aircraft, MiG fighter planes and around 180 land vehicles.
JEM confirmed that it had fought alongside the rebel
faction of SLA-Minnawi, but claimed that it had defeated the
government forces and captured 13 of their vehicles, together
with ammunition and heavy weapons.
"There was very heavy fighting. The army bombed
villages in the area and many people were killed and
displaced," said Gibril Adam, JEM spokesman, without providing
"The SAF have now withdrawn and the area is fully
under our control," he added.
JEM and the SLA have fought alongside each other in
periodic clashes with the army since December, when rebel
leader Minni Minnawi took up arms against the government for
failing to implement a peace deal they signed in 2006.
Renewed fighting between armed groups and the Sudanese
army has resulted in more than 70,000 new arrivals over the
past four months at camps in Darfur set up for those fleeing
their homes, according to UN reports.
At least 300,000 people have been killed in Darfur and
1.8 million people forced to flee their homes since non-Arab
rebels first rose up against the Arab-dominated Khartoum
regime in 2003, according to the United Nations. The
government puts the death toll at 10,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'