Heavy snow hits Austria, shuts down key rail line
Vienna: A major east-west railway route in western Austria was shut on Saturday following heavy snow in the popular Alpine skiing region.
Railway operator OeBB said the line between Oetztal and Bludenz — part of a route that connects Vienna and Innsbruck with Austria`s western tip and Switzerland — was expected to remain closed until Sunday afternoon.
Two other rail lines connecting Tyrol province with southern Germany also were shut down. Overhead wires in the area have been damaged by falling trees.
Heavy snow has blanketed Tyrol and neighbouring Vorarlberg, Austria`s westernmost province, over recent days, leading to several road closures and an elevated risk of avalanches.
A military helicopter was brought in Saturday to pick up 52 people who had been stranded for two days at a mountain refuge in Vorarlberg, provincial government official Erich Schwaerzler told the Austria Press Agency.
Schwaerzler said they had been unable to make the descent from the Lindauer Huette refuge, which is 5,720 feet (1,744 meters) above sea level, by any other means because of the avalanche risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it