Heavy snow hits Austria, shuts down key rail line
Vienna: A major east-west railway route in western Austria was shut on Saturday following heavy snow in the popular Alpine skiing region.
Railway operator OeBB said the line between Oetztal and Bludenz — part of a route that connects Vienna and Innsbruck with Austria`s western tip and Switzerland — was expected to remain closed until Sunday afternoon.
Two other rail lines connecting Tyrol province with southern Germany also were shut down. Overhead wires in the area have been damaged by falling trees.
Heavy snow has blanketed Tyrol and neighbouring Vorarlberg, Austria`s westernmost province, over recent days, leading to several road closures and an elevated risk of avalanches.
A military helicopter was brought in Saturday to pick up 52 people who had been stranded for two days at a mountain refuge in Vorarlberg, provincial government official Erich Schwaerzler told the Austria Press Agency.
Schwaerzler said they had been unable to make the descent from the Lindauer Huette refuge, which is 5,720 feet (1,744 meters) above sea level, by any other means because of the avalanche risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested