Heavy snow hits Austria, shuts down key rail line
Vienna: A major east-west railway route in western Austria was shut on Saturday following heavy snow in the popular Alpine skiing region.
Railway operator OeBB said the line between Oetztal and Bludenz — part of a route that connects Vienna and Innsbruck with Austria`s western tip and Switzerland — was expected to remain closed until Sunday afternoon.
Two other rail lines connecting Tyrol province with southern Germany also were shut down. Overhead wires in the area have been damaged by falling trees.
Heavy snow has blanketed Tyrol and neighbouring Vorarlberg, Austria`s westernmost province, over recent days, leading to several road closures and an elevated risk of avalanches.
A military helicopter was brought in Saturday to pick up 52 people who had been stranded for two days at a mountain refuge in Vorarlberg, provincial government official Erich Schwaerzler told the Austria Press Agency.
Schwaerzler said they had been unable to make the descent from the Lindauer Huette refuge, which is 5,720 feet (1,744 meters) above sea level, by any other means because of the avalanche risk.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today