Helicopter crash in Nigeria kills three
Lagos: A helicopter crash in southwestern Nigeria has left three people, including the pilot, dead, an emergency official said on Saturday after a six-hour search in a wooded area to locate the wreckage.
The private helicopter crashed on Friday outside Ife-Odan in Osun state in a mountainous area, said Yushau Shuaib, spokesman for the national emergency management agency (NEMA).
He said that three people aboard the OAS helicopter -- the pilot and two women -- died.
Full details of the crash remained unclear, including the cause, he said.
"The crash happened in an extremely difficult mountainous area, difficult to access. No vehicle or motorcycle can access the area. It is just now that our officers are bringing down the three corpses," he said.
The helicopter, travelling from Lagos to the north-central city of Ilorin, crashed on a hilltop more than 1,000 feet above sea level, he said.
He said that NEMA suspects poor visibility as the cause of the accident.
"NEMA director general (Mohammed) Sani-Sidi said they would work with other agencies to determine what happened to the emergency locator beacon which could have sent a distress signal to NEMA MCC (Mission Control Centre)," Shuaib added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials