Hitler`s Nazi resort `to become a luxury hotel`
London: German dictator Adolf Hitler`s Nazi
holiday resort, which spans nearly three miles along the coast
of the Baltic island of Ruegen, will soon be converted into a
400-bed luxury hotel and 400 apartments, a media report said.
In fact, it`s the Block One of the resort, Colossus
of Prora, which is to be converted into a luxury hotel and an
apartment block. The resort, said to be the largest holiday
camp ever constructed by Hitler in the 1930s, was sold for 2.2
million pounds at an auction in Berlin.
The building, the single-biggest sold in post-war
Germany, had a reserve price of 700,000 pounds, but telephone
bidding at the Berlin auction last Saturday sent the price
soaring, the `Daily Mail` reported.
Prora was constructed on the Baltic island of Ruegen by
the stormtroopers of the Nazi "Strength Through Joy" leisure
organisation over a six-year period and occupies nearly three
miles of beachfront.
It was meant to provide holiday entertainment for 20,000
of Hitler`s hordes at any one time. But not a single Nazi ever
got to stay there. The Nazis viewed leisure as just one more
aspect of human activity to be governed by the party.
The last rooms of the "Butlins-of-the-dark-side" were
finished just as World War Two began in 1939 and Prora was
left empty, the greatest white elephant of all time. It was
occupied after 1945 by the Red Army and became a secret base.
After German reunification, all the buildings were
given listed status and a very few have been transformed into
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day