Hong Kong police seize cocaine worth $77 million
Hong Kong: Hong Kong police have made their biggest ever cocaine bust, seizing more than 1,200 pounds (560 kilograms) of the drug worth about 600 million Hong Kong dollars (USD 77 million) and arresting eight people.
Narcotics bureau officers acting on a tip carried out raids at a suburban warehouse and other locations across the city starting Friday, police said on Monday. The five men and three women arrested included five Mexican nationals, an American and a Colombian.
The Mexicans and the American were charged with drug trafficking and appeared in court on Monday. They did not enter pleas or apply for bail and the case was adjourned until November 14, local broadcaster RTHK said.
News reports said the other two arrested were a Colombian woman and her Chinese husband, both Hong Kong residents.
Police said the warehouse was believed to be a drug packaging and storage centre. Police said the drugs were hidden in heaps of plastic engine oil or automotive transmission fluid containers for recycling, according to local newspapers.
"Traffickers have used different ways to disguise their dealings, but this is the first time police have seen recycled materials used," Narcotics Bureau Chief Superintendent John Paul Ribeiro said, according to the South China Morning Post.
Police said it may take more than 100 officers up to two more days to finish searching the 10,000-square foot (930-square meter) warehouse, the Hong Kong Standard reported.
Ribeiro said the suspects had been in touch with local dealers but wouldn`t rule out the possibility that the drugs were destined for mainland China or other countries, the Post reported.
Drug trafficking carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment and a fine of HK$5 million (USD 644,000) in Hong Kong.
The seizure tops last year`s haul of 820 pounds (372 kilograms) of cocaine from a suburban house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof