Hundreds feared trapped in SW China floods
Beijing: Hundreds of people are still
feared to be trapped in floods after heavy torrential rains
lashed southwest China killing at least 24 persons in past two
At least 600 residents are still trapped in Tongnan, the
county government has said, while 12,300 people have been
The flooding in Tongnan County occurred after downpour
pounded the upper reaches of Qiongjiang River last morning,
driving up the water level in the river`s section in the
region by 5.8 meters in just four hours, the county government
source said as reported by the state news agency Xinhua.
Three townships -- Chongkan, Tai`an and Baizi -- and some
other villages are flooded since last night with Chongkan
losing contact with rest of the country because of damage to
the roads and communication facilities.
The rescuers, including fire fighters and police
personnel, rescued 250 people at around 3 am (local time)
So far 170 people have been killed in torrential rains
this month with 40 others still missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing