IAEA measures being implemented by Iran: Amano
Vienna: The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Yukiya Amano, Monday said Iran has begun implementing measures aimed at resolving issues surrounding Tehran`s nuclear plans.
Speaking at Vienna airport after his visit to Iran, Amano told reporters that out of the five practical measures within a cooperation framework, work had begun on two issues relating to possible military dimensions (PMDs) of Tehran`s nuclear programme, which were to be taken by an Aug 25 deadline, Xinhua reported.
"We have started, that is important. I expect progress will be made over the next week," he added.
The two issues involve allegations of initiating high explosives, including the conduct of large-scale high explosives experimentation in Iran.
During his visit, Amano held talks with high-level Iranian officials including President Hassan Rouhani.
Amano said his visit to Iran was a useful one, stressing he was glad to hear a firm commitment from Iran to resolving all present and past issues through dialogue and cooperation with the IAEA.
Under the framework of cooperation between Iran and the IAEA signed last November, Iran in May started to resolve PMD issues by providing the IAEA information of the reasons for developing exploding bridge wire detonators (EBW).
These detonators can be used to set off an atomic explosive device and also be applied for civilian purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory