Iceland Parl rejects NSA whistleblower Snowden`s citizenship bid
Johannesburg: Iceland has rejected a proposal to offer US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden Icelandic citizenship.
The 63-seat parliament voted against the proposal, which had been made by six members of the opposition.
According to news24, Iceland`s centre-right government had earlier said that Snowden would not be given special treatment, meaning that he would have to make an asylum application on Icelandic soil.
Earlier this week, the interior ministry said an application for asylum that had been sent to Iceland`s embassy in Moscow could not be considered as it was not possible to verify if it had been sent by Snowden.
Similar applications have been sent to 20 other countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions