Iceland Parl rejects NSA whistleblower Snowden`s citizenship bid
Johannesburg: Iceland has rejected a proposal to offer US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden Icelandic citizenship.
The 63-seat parliament voted against the proposal, which had been made by six members of the opposition.
According to news24, Iceland`s centre-right government had earlier said that Snowden would not be given special treatment, meaning that he would have to make an asylum application on Icelandic soil.
Earlier this week, the interior ministry said an application for asylum that had been sent to Iceland`s embassy in Moscow could not be considered as it was not possible to verify if it had been sent by Snowden.
Similar applications have been sent to 20 other countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan