Iceland Parl rejects NSA whistleblower Snowden`s citizenship bid
Johannesburg: Iceland has rejected a proposal to offer US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden Icelandic citizenship.
The 63-seat parliament voted against the proposal, which had been made by six members of the opposition.
According to news24, Iceland`s centre-right government had earlier said that Snowden would not be given special treatment, meaning that he would have to make an asylum application on Icelandic soil.
Earlier this week, the interior ministry said an application for asylum that had been sent to Iceland`s embassy in Moscow could not be considered as it was not possible to verify if it had been sent by Snowden.
Similar applications have been sent to 20 other countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM