Iceland Parl rejects NSA whistleblower Snowden`s citizenship bid
Johannesburg: Iceland has rejected a proposal to offer US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden Icelandic citizenship.
The 63-seat parliament voted against the proposal, which had been made by six members of the opposition.
According to news24, Iceland`s centre-right government had earlier said that Snowden would not be given special treatment, meaning that he would have to make an asylum application on Icelandic soil.
Earlier this week, the interior ministry said an application for asylum that had been sent to Iceland`s embassy in Moscow could not be considered as it was not possible to verify if it had been sent by Snowden.
Similar applications have been sent to 20 other countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch