Iceland Parl rejects NSA whistleblower Snowden`s citizenship bid
Johannesburg: Iceland has rejected a proposal to offer US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden Icelandic citizenship.
The 63-seat parliament voted against the proposal, which had been made by six members of the opposition.
According to news24, Iceland`s centre-right government had earlier said that Snowden would not be given special treatment, meaning that he would have to make an asylum application on Icelandic soil.
Earlier this week, the interior ministry said an application for asylum that had been sent to Iceland`s embassy in Moscow could not be considered as it was not possible to verify if it had been sent by Snowden.
Similar applications have been sent to 20 other countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued