In defiance of Army, Egypt Parliament convenes
Cairo: Following President Mohammed Mursi’s surprise decree, that quashed a previous Military order, the Egyptian Parliament convened on Tuesday, reports said.
Confronting the Army and the Judiciary head on, Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi ordered to reinstate the dissolved Parliament.
The military had dissolved the Parliament last month after a court ruling on June 14.
Egypt`s top court retorted by telling that state institutions that all its ruling were "binding" on them.
"All the rulings and decisions of the Supreme Constitutional Court are final and not subject to appeal... and are binding for all state institutions," the court said in a statement.
The military too, delivered a thinly-veiled warning to the president, saying it would continue to support the country`s "legitimacy, constitution and law".
Mursi, through his spokesman Yasser Ali, insisted his decision to reconvene the 508-seat chamber on Tuesday was an "assertion of the popular will."
The Presidential decree that appears to have sparked a verbal one upmanship puts the newly-elected dispensation in conflict with the Judiciary on one side and the ruling military on the other.
However, MPs from several liberal and leftists political parties `boycotted` the session, with some describing President Mohamed Mursi`s move as a "constitutional coup".
Speaker Saad al-Katatni said he desired to clearly stress that the aim of the restored house was not to challenge the Supreme Constitutional Court as the house "respects the law and judicial rulings".
"We are not contradicting the ruling, but looking at a mechanism for the implementation of the ruling of the respected court," he said in a brief statement, aired live on television.
Though President Mursi and Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi made a joint appearance at the armed forces graduation ceremony today, the rift between the Supreme Council of Armed Forces and the executive was for everyone to see.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan