Interpol issues `red notice` for fugitive Iraq VP
Baghdad: Interpol has issued a so-called "red notice" for Iraq`s fugitive Sunni Vice President who is currently in Turkey.
The Lyon, France-based organisation says today`s move came at the request of the government in Baghdad.
Iraq has charged Tariq al-Hashemi with terrorism and has accused him of running death squads that targeted government officials, security forces and Shi’ite pilgrims.
He is one of the nation`s highest-ranking Sunni politicians and is being tried in absentia in Baghdad.
Al-Hashemi has vowed to not return to face what he calls politically motivated charges.
A red notice seeks the arrest or provisional arrest of a wanted person with a view to eventual extradition. The subjects of red notices are considered to be on Interpol`s most-wanted list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan