Interpol issues `red notice` for fugitive Iraq VP
Baghdad: Interpol has issued a so-called "red notice" for Iraq`s fugitive Sunni Vice President who is currently in Turkey.
The Lyon, France-based organisation says today`s move came at the request of the government in Baghdad.
Iraq has charged Tariq al-Hashemi with terrorism and has accused him of running death squads that targeted government officials, security forces and Shi’ite pilgrims.
He is one of the nation`s highest-ranking Sunni politicians and is being tried in absentia in Baghdad.
Al-Hashemi has vowed to not return to face what he calls politically motivated charges.
A red notice seeks the arrest or provisional arrest of a wanted person with a view to eventual extradition. The subjects of red notices are considered to be on Interpol`s most-wanted list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH