Iran condemns possible US military action
Iran has taken its case against the United States to the United Nations.
New York: Iran took its case against the United States to the United Nations on Wednesday and strongly condemned the top US military chief for saying military action remains a possibility if the country develops nuclear weapons.
Iran`s acting UN ambassador Eshagh Alehabib claimed in letters circulated to the secretary-general and presidents of the Security Council and General Assembly that Adm Mike Mullen, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, and other US officials and lawmakers "threatened" to use military action under the "totally false" pretence that Iran is developing nuclear weapons.
Mullen said earlier this month that the US military has a plan to attack Iran although he thinks a military strike is probably a bad idea. Still, he said the risk of Iran developing a nuclear weapon is unacceptable and he reiterated that "the military option" remains on the table.
Iran`s supreme leader, meanwhile, told Iranian state TV that there will be no talks with the US under the shadow of threats.
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the final say on all state matters in Iran, was apparently referring to recent calls by the US and other key powers for Iran to resume talks on its nuclear program following the UN Security Council`s recent vote imposing a fourth set of tougher sanctions against the country for refusing to halt uranium enrichment.
The US and some of its allies accuse Iran of using its civilian nuclear program as a cover to build nuclear weapons. Iran has denied the charges, saying its nuclear program is geared merely toward generating electricity, not bombs.