Iran denies missile test-fire reports in Gulf
Tehran: Iran`s navy has denied test-firing a
variety of long-range missiles in war games during military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz, a
spokesman said on Saturday.
Earlier, Fars news agency reported that Iran has test-fired missiles from land to sea during its ten day military exercises in international waters.
Commodore Mahmoud Mousavi told state television in a live
interview: "In the next days, we will test-fire all kinds of
surface-to-sea, sea-to-sea and surface-to-air as well as
The 10 days of navy exercises started December 24 and are
due to end on Monday.
Twenty percent of the world`s oil moves through the
Strait of Hormuz, at the entrance of the Gulf, making it the
"most important chokepoint" globally, according to information
released yesterday by the US Energy Information
Around 14 crude oil tankers per day pass through the
narrow strait, carrying 17 million barrels. In all, 35 per
cent of all seaborne oil transited through there this year.
Iran has said that "not a drop of oil" would pass through
the strait if Western governments follow through with planned
additional sanctions over its nuclear programme.
Military chiefs have said it would be "really easy" for
them to close the strait.
The United States had called the threats "irrational
behaviour" and said closure of the strait "will not be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Has somebody blocked you on WhatsApp? Know how to unblock yourself
- Reforms to aid growth; banking sector risks remain: Moody's
- Here's why NASA calls low level of Arctic sea ice the 'new normal' – Watch!
- Watch: This rare video of young Varun Dhawan will leave you astonished!
- Madras Day: These 5 things make Chennai so special