Iran denies missile test-fire reports in Gulf
Tehran: Iran`s navy has denied test-firing a
variety of long-range missiles in war games during military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz, a
spokesman said on Saturday.
Earlier, Fars news agency reported that Iran has test-fired missiles from land to sea during its ten day military exercises in international waters.
Commodore Mahmoud Mousavi told state television in a live
interview: "In the next days, we will test-fire all kinds of
surface-to-sea, sea-to-sea and surface-to-air as well as
The 10 days of navy exercises started December 24 and are
due to end on Monday.
Twenty percent of the world`s oil moves through the
Strait of Hormuz, at the entrance of the Gulf, making it the
"most important chokepoint" globally, according to information
released yesterday by the US Energy Information
Around 14 crude oil tankers per day pass through the
narrow strait, carrying 17 million barrels. In all, 35 per
cent of all seaborne oil transited through there this year.
Iran has said that "not a drop of oil" would pass through
the strait if Western governments follow through with planned
additional sanctions over its nuclear programme.
Military chiefs have said it would be "really easy" for
them to close the strait.
The United States had called the threats "irrational
behaviour" and said closure of the strait "will not be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly