Iran eyes N-fuel to power ships
Tehran: Iran will use nuclear fuel to power its merchant vessels, an Iranian MP said Tuesday.
The Western sanctions have forced Iran to use nuclear fuel as a substitute for fossil fuel, Xinhua quoted MP Allahverdi Dehqani as saying.
This will allow the vessels to undertake long-distance voyages without refuelling, said Dehqani, also a member of parliament`s industries and mines committee.
Western sanctions ban other countries from refuelling Iranian ships.
"The government should enrich uranium to the necessary level to supply fuel for such ships since we cannot cut our trade relations with other countries," Dehqani said.
The European Union and the US have recently tightened sanctions on Tehran, fearing Iran may use its civilian nuclear programme as a cover to develop nuclear bombs.
An European oil embargo has been in force since July 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands