Iran eyes N-fuel to power ships
Tehran: Iran will use nuclear fuel to power its merchant vessels, an Iranian MP said Tuesday.
The Western sanctions have forced Iran to use nuclear fuel as a substitute for fossil fuel, Xinhua quoted MP Allahverdi Dehqani as saying.
This will allow the vessels to undertake long-distance voyages without refuelling, said Dehqani, also a member of parliament`s industries and mines committee.
Western sanctions ban other countries from refuelling Iranian ships.
"The government should enrich uranium to the necessary level to supply fuel for such ships since we cannot cut our trade relations with other countries," Dehqani said.
The European Union and the US have recently tightened sanctions on Tehran, fearing Iran may use its civilian nuclear programme as a cover to develop nuclear bombs.
An European oil embargo has been in force since July 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh