Iran eyes N-fuel to power ships
Tehran: Iran will use nuclear fuel to power its merchant vessels, an Iranian MP said Tuesday.
The Western sanctions have forced Iran to use nuclear fuel as a substitute for fossil fuel, Xinhua quoted MP Allahverdi Dehqani as saying.
This will allow the vessels to undertake long-distance voyages without refuelling, said Dehqani, also a member of parliament`s industries and mines committee.
Western sanctions ban other countries from refuelling Iranian ships.
"The government should enrich uranium to the necessary level to supply fuel for such ships since we cannot cut our trade relations with other countries," Dehqani said.
The European Union and the US have recently tightened sanctions on Tehran, fearing Iran may use its civilian nuclear programme as a cover to develop nuclear bombs.
An European oil embargo has been in force since July 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what