Iran hangs 10 drug traffickers: Reports
Tehran: Iran has hanged 10 drug
traffickers, including seven who were executed in the southern
province of Kerman, media reports said on Wednesday.
The seven convicted drug smugglers were hanged in
prisons in cities of Bam and Jiroft in Kerman on Tuesday,
according to Arman newspaper.
Three others were hanged in a prison in the southern
city of Shiraz, according to the judiciary website of the
province of Fars of which Shiraz is the capital. The website
did not say when the three were executed.
All 10 were found guilty of possessing various amounts
of heroin, opium, crack cocaine and morphine, reports said.
Possession of more than 30 grams of narcotics is
punishable by death in Iran, as are murder, rape, armed
robbery and adultery.
The latest hangings bring to 89 the number of
executions reported in Iran so far in 2011, according to an
AFP count based on media reports. The authorities say 80
percent of those executed have been drug traffickers.
Iran media reported 179 hangings last year. In 2009,
Iran executed 388 people, according to international human
rights groups, making it second only to China in the number of
people it put to death.
The Islamic republic says the death penalty is
essential to maintain law and order and applied only after
exhaustive judicial proceedings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video