Iran hangs serial killer, rapists, activists
Tehran: Iran hanged on Monday a serial killer of women, three rapists and two political activists in the capital Tehran and the nearby city of Karaj, reports said.
Omid Barak, 24, was hanged in public in Karaj Square for murdering, raping and robbing 10 women, state television`s website said.
Three other men, named as Ghavam Atakeshzadeh, Mostafa Karimi Khaneghah and Reza Dehghan, were hanged in Tehran`s Evin prison for raping a teenage boy in 2007, the report said.
In a separate report, the Tehran prosecutor`s office said Jafar Kazemi and Mohammad Ali Hajaghaei were hanged on Monday over ties with Islamic regime`s exiled opposition, People`s Mujahedeen of Iran, and "rioting."
The executions were the first reported hangings of protesters who staged demonstrations against the re-election of president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in a poll they said was rigged.
The latest hangings bring the total number of executions so far this year to 52 -- on average more than two a day -- according to a news agency count based on media reports. Most of them have been drug traffickers.
In 2010, Iran hanged at least 179 people, according to media reports.
Along with China, Saudi Arabia and the United States, Iran has one of the highest numbers of executions each year.
Murder, rape, armed robbery, drug trafficking and adultery are among the crimes punishable by death in Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report