Iran hangs two for attack posted on YouTube
Tehran: Iran state radio says two men have been hanged publicly after posting a video on YouTube showing them robbing and assaulting a man with a machete on a Tehran street.
The execution was carried out today after officials called for a speedy investigation and trial because of public outrage.
The video emerged in early December and was later shown on state TV.
The two men, both 24, were convicted of "waging war against God”, a broad charge that can cover actions ranging from anti-state organising to violent assaults.
The semi-official ISNA news agency says nearly 300 people witnessed the hangings.
ISNA said two accomplices received sentences that included 10 years in prison and 74 lashes each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country