Iran hangs two for attack posted on YouTube
Tehran: Iran state radio says two men have been hanged publicly after posting a video on YouTube showing them robbing and assaulting a man with a machete on a Tehran street.
The execution was carried out today after officials called for a speedy investigation and trial because of public outrage.
The video emerged in early December and was later shown on state TV.
The two men, both 24, were convicted of "waging war against God”, a broad charge that can cover actions ranging from anti-state organising to violent assaults.
The semi-official ISNA news agency says nearly 300 people witnessed the hangings.
ISNA said two accomplices received sentences that included 10 years in prison and 74 lashes each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?