Iran hangs two for attack posted on YouTube
Tehran: Iran state radio says two men have been hanged publicly after posting a video on YouTube showing them robbing and assaulting a man with a machete on a Tehran street.
The execution was carried out today after officials called for a speedy investigation and trial because of public outrage.
The video emerged in early December and was later shown on state TV.
The two men, both 24, were convicted of "waging war against God”, a broad charge that can cover actions ranging from anti-state organising to violent assaults.
The semi-official ISNA news agency says nearly 300 people witnessed the hangings.
ISNA said two accomplices received sentences that included 10 years in prison and 74 lashes each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users