Iran hopes to start drafting nuclear deal Wednesday
Tehran: Iran hopes to start drafting a nuclear agreement with world powers Wednesday but accepts tough negotiations lie ahead on a raft of issues, one of its top negotiators said.
Abbas Araqchi said Iran still hoped its differences with the six powers can be settled by a July 20 target date for a comprehensive deal, but that it "won`t be a catastrophe" if the negotiations have to be extended for another six months.
The main sticking points are the timetable for a full lifting of crippling US and EU sanctions, and the scale to which Iran would be allowed to continue uranium enrichment, he told Iran`s official IRNA news agency.
We hope to start work on Wednesday on drafting the text of a final agreement, not the big issues but the general framework and the introduction," Araqchi said.
"There is a still a long way to go before we reach an agreement acceptable to all sides."
Iran and the six powers -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States, plus Germany -- opened a new round of talks in Vienna on Monday in the search for a deal by the July 20 deadline set by an interim agreement.
"We hope to reach an agreement between now and July 20," Araqchi said.
"But if we don`t, it won`t be a catastrophe," he added, referring to a clause in the interim agreement struck in November that allows for the talks to be extended.
Uranium enrichment is the sensitive process at the centre of Western concerns about Iran`s nuclear ambitions.
It can produce both fuel for nuclear power stations and, in highly extended form, the core of an atomic bomb.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines