Iran issues arrest warrant for ex-president`s son
Tehran: Iranian state radio says an arrest
warrant has been issued for the son of influential former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani on charges of fomenting the
2009 postelection unrest.
A report today quotes deputy judiciary chief Ebrhim
Raisi as saying the arrest warrant for Mahdi Hashemi has been
issued and "he will be detained upon arrival in the country." Hashemi has been in Britain since the summer of 2009.
The presidential election in June of that year set off months
of street protests by opposition activists claiming vote
fraud. The anger quickly broadened to target Iran`s ruling
Authorities responded with a harsh crackdown and a
The moderate Rafsanjani was president from 1989-97 and
appeared to side with critics of last year`s election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days