Iran lawmaker says 12 CIA agents arrested
Tehran: An influential Iran parliamentarian has said that the country has arrested 12 agents of the American Central Intelligence Agency, the country’s official IRNA news agency reported.
Parviz Sorouri, who sits on the powerful committee of foreign policy and national security, that the alleged agents had been operating in coordination with Israel’s Mossad and other regional agencies, and targeted the country’s military and its nuclear program.
“The US and Zionist regime’s espionage apparatuses were trying to damage Iran both from inside and outside with a heavy blow, using regional intelligence services,” Sorouri was quoted as having said on Wednesday.
“Fortunately, with swift reaction by the Iranian intelligence department, the actions failed to bear fruit,” Sorouri said.
The lawmaker did not specify the nationality of the alleged agents, nor when or where they had been arrested.
Iran periodically announces the capture or execution of alleged US or Israeli spies, and often no further information is released.
This current announcement follows the unravelling by Lebanon’s Hezbollah of a CIA spy ring in that country. Hezbollah reportedly works closely with Iran.
Hezbollah’s longtime leader, Sheik Hassan Nasrallah, boasted in June on television he had unmasked at least two CIA spies who had infiltrated the ranks of the organisation.
Though the US embassy in Lebanon officially denied the accusation, American officials conceded that Nasrallah wasn’t lying and that Hezbollah had subsequently methodically picked off CIA informants.
The United States and its allies suspect Iran is pursuing a nuclear weapon program, a charge Iran denies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray