Iran MPs pass bill for 20 percent uranium enrichment
Tehran: Iranian MPs on Sunday passed a bill
obligating Tehran to continue 20-percent uranium enrichment,
defying mounting Western pressure to halt such work, Fars news
"The outlines of the bill were adopted by 171 MPs out of
200 present," Fars said about the legislation, which still
needs to be rubber-stamped by the hardline Guardians Council
watchdog before becoming law.
The bill titled "Combating US and British plots to
protect nuclear achievements" stipulates that Iran also
"retaliate" against inspection of its ships and refusal to
give fuel to Iranian planes at international airports,
"If the bill is finally passed the Atomic Energy
Organisation will be required to make provisions for the
production and supply of 20-percent enriched fuel to meet the
needs of research reactors for medical uses," Fars said.
Western powers have demanded that Iran suspend its
uranium enrichment programme, fearing that Tehran would use
the material to build a nuclear bomb. Tehran insists that its
atomic programme is a peaceful drive to produce energy.
Iran stepped up its uranium enrichment to 20 percent in
February to make fuel for an ageing research reactor in Tehran
amid international concern.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly