Iran says nuclear site `saboteurs` were thieves
Tehran: Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi said today that four people accused of sabotaging one of the country`s sensitive nuclear sites were only thieves, Mehr news agency reported.
"These four people were not saboteurs. They cut the fences and entered the area to collect scrap iron and steel and sell it on the market," Mehr quoted Alavi as saying.
"In fact, they were thieves not nuclear saboteurs," said Alavi, adding they were "villagers who had done this before".
Alavi did not specify at which nuclear site the arrests were made.
Iran`s nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi said earlier this month that four people suspected of attempting to sabotage one of Iran`s nuclear plants were arrested.
Tehran is at loggerheads with world powers over its disputed nuclear programme, which the West and Israel suspect is aimed at making a atomic bomb despite the Islamic republic`s repeated denials.
In August last year, saboteurs blew up power lines supplying Iran`s underground uranium enrichment plant at Fardo outside the central city of Qom.
In 2010, a US cyber-attack, reportedly carried out in collaboration with Israel, hit Iran`s nuclear facilities.
The Stuxnet virus was tailored specifically to target uranium enrichment facilities.
In recent years, Iran has detained a number of alleged US or Israeli agents accused of spying on, or attempting to sabotage, its nuclear programme.
Several Iranian nuclear engineers have also been killed in what Tehran says were assassinations by foreign intelligence services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble