Iran says nuclear site `saboteurs` were thieves
Tehran: Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi said today that four people accused of sabotaging one of the country`s sensitive nuclear sites were only thieves, Mehr news agency reported.
"These four people were not saboteurs. They cut the fences and entered the area to collect scrap iron and steel and sell it on the market," Mehr quoted Alavi as saying.
"In fact, they were thieves not nuclear saboteurs," said Alavi, adding they were "villagers who had done this before".
Alavi did not specify at which nuclear site the arrests were made.
Iran`s nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi said earlier this month that four people suspected of attempting to sabotage one of Iran`s nuclear plants were arrested.
Tehran is at loggerheads with world powers over its disputed nuclear programme, which the West and Israel suspect is aimed at making a atomic bomb despite the Islamic republic`s repeated denials.
In August last year, saboteurs blew up power lines supplying Iran`s underground uranium enrichment plant at Fardo outside the central city of Qom.
In 2010, a US cyber-attack, reportedly carried out in collaboration with Israel, hit Iran`s nuclear facilities.
The Stuxnet virus was tailored specifically to target uranium enrichment facilities.
In recent years, Iran has detained a number of alleged US or Israeli agents accused of spying on, or attempting to sabotage, its nuclear programme.
Several Iranian nuclear engineers have also been killed in what Tehran says were assassinations by foreign intelligence services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you