Iran test fires missile during Navy war games
Tehran: Iran successfully test fired a
medium-range surface-to-air missile on Sunday during Navy war
games taking place near the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a
spokesman for the manoeuvres said, according to the official
IRNA news agency.
"This medium-range surface-to-air missile is equipped with
the latest technology to combat radar-evading targets and
intelligent systems which try to disrupt missile navigation,"
Commodore Mahmoud Mousavi was quoted as saying.
He said it was the first time Iran had tested the missile,
which was "domestically designed and built."
It was not immediately known whether the missile was
fired from a ship or from land.
The missile`s launch and the war games are meant to show
Iran`s military capabilities at a time that the United States
and other Western nations are increasing pressure over
Tehran`s nuclear programme.
The fact that they are taking place near the Strait of
Hormuz has focused attention on Iran`s threats in recent days
that it could close the narrow channel at the entrance to the
Gulf if more sanctions are imposed.
In a move that could intensify a brewing Gulf showdown, US
President Barack Obama yesterday signed into law tough new
sanctions targeting Iran`s central bank and financial sector.
Twenty per cent of the world`s oil passes through the
strait, making it the "most important chokepoint" globally,
according to the US Energy Information Administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note