Iran test fires missile during Navy war games
Tehran: Iran successfully test fired a
medium-range surface-to-air missile on Sunday during Navy war
games taking place near the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a
spokesman for the manoeuvres said, according to the official
IRNA news agency.
"This medium-range surface-to-air missile is equipped with
the latest technology to combat radar-evading targets and
intelligent systems which try to disrupt missile navigation,"
Commodore Mahmoud Mousavi was quoted as saying.
He said it was the first time Iran had tested the missile,
which was "domestically designed and built."
It was not immediately known whether the missile was
fired from a ship or from land.
The missile`s launch and the war games are meant to show
Iran`s military capabilities at a time that the United States
and other Western nations are increasing pressure over
Tehran`s nuclear programme.
The fact that they are taking place near the Strait of
Hormuz has focused attention on Iran`s threats in recent days
that it could close the narrow channel at the entrance to the
Gulf if more sanctions are imposed.
In a move that could intensify a brewing Gulf showdown, US
President Barack Obama yesterday signed into law tough new
sanctions targeting Iran`s central bank and financial sector.
Twenty per cent of the world`s oil passes through the
strait, making it the "most important chokepoint" globally,
according to the US Energy Information Administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest