Iran test fires missile during Navy war games
Tehran: Iran successfully test fired a
medium-range surface-to-air missile on Sunday during Navy war
games taking place near the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a
spokesman for the manoeuvres said, according to the official
IRNA news agency.
"This medium-range surface-to-air missile is equipped with
the latest technology to combat radar-evading targets and
intelligent systems which try to disrupt missile navigation,"
Commodore Mahmoud Mousavi was quoted as saying.
He said it was the first time Iran had tested the missile,
which was "domestically designed and built."
It was not immediately known whether the missile was
fired from a ship or from land.
The missile`s launch and the war games are meant to show
Iran`s military capabilities at a time that the United States
and other Western nations are increasing pressure over
Tehran`s nuclear programme.
The fact that they are taking place near the Strait of
Hormuz has focused attention on Iran`s threats in recent days
that it could close the narrow channel at the entrance to the
Gulf if more sanctions are imposed.
In a move that could intensify a brewing Gulf showdown, US
President Barack Obama yesterday signed into law tough new
sanctions targeting Iran`s central bank and financial sector.
Twenty per cent of the world`s oil passes through the
strait, making it the "most important chokepoint" globally,
according to the US Energy Information Administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly