Iran to inform IAEA about new nuke sites
Tehran: In keeping with the parliamentary
demand that obliges the government to limit its cooperation
with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), from now
Iran will not go beyond its legal commitments in interaction
with the agency, an Iranian nuclear official said.
Likewise, Iran will not reveal the construction of new
nuclear plants to the Vienna-based agency until six months
before the operation, Ali Akbar Salehi, director of the Atomic
Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI), said.
According to the Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT), member
countries are required to inform the International Atomic
Energy Agency about their newly-built nuclear facilities only
six months before nuclear materials are supplied to the sites,
The move by the parliament came as the IAEA Board of
Governors, under a pressure from the West, adopted a
resolution censuring Iran for not informing the agency about
the Fordo nuclear enrichment facility at the moment it started
Iran has informed the IAEA about Fordo plant 18 months
Salehi went on to say that Iran will continue its nuclear
activities within the framework of international treaties.
The Article 4 of the NPT recognizes all member countries`
rights to have access to nuclear energy meant for peaceful
purposes and to enrich uranium and Iran is not an exception,
Iran’s former ambassador to the IAEA explained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH