‘Iran to resume nuclear talks in Vienna within days’
Brussels: Tehran will resume negotiations with world powers over its nuclear programme in the coming days, Iran`s chief negotiator told a Belgian newspaper Tuesday, after a meeting with the EU`s foreign policy chief.
Iran broke off previous talks after Washington expanded its Iranian sanctions blacklist despite an interim deal reached in Geneva on curbing Tehran`s nuclear ambitions in exchange for some sanctions relief.
But on Tuesday, Iranian deputy foreign minister Abbas Araqhchi told daily Soir that the EU`s Catherine Ashton had assured him that world powers remained committed to implementing the interim deal.
"On the basis of these explanations, we have decided to resume technical negotiations in Vienna," said Araqhchi.
"We are trying at the moment to coordinate a date for that and we will start the negotiations in Vienna soon. It`s a question of days," he added.
Under the Geneva deal, Iran agreed that it would freeze parts of its contested nuclear programme in return for some relief from Western sanctions as it negotiates a comprehensive accord to allay suspicions that it is seeking the atomic bomb.
The United States also agreed to refrain from slapping new sanctions on Iran.
But last week, Washington blacklisted a dozen overseas companies and individuals for evading its sanctions imposed on Iran to halt what the West sees as its bid to build a nuclear bomb.
Senior US officials argued the move was taken under an existing sanctions regime.
But the measures angered Tehran and prompted its negotiating team to withdraw from the talks in Vienna.
On Tuesday, Araqhchi said the US move remains of "serious concern, it`s against the spirit of the deal".
"We agreed to move on the basis of good will and good faith. And to add these new companies to the list of sanctions, it`s not goodwill," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India