‘Iran to shut Hormuz Strait if threatened’
Tehran: The strategic Strait of Hormuz may be closed if Iran`s security is threatened, top Iranian officials have said.
"We do have the plan to close the Strait of Hormuz, since a member of the military must plan for all scenarios," Major General Hassan Firuzabadi, chairman of Iran`s Joint Chiefs of Staff, was quoted as saying by state-run Press TV.
The strait is strategically located between the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf.
An Iranian MP also reiterated the threats that Tehran would close the strategic strait if Western sanctions against Iran increase.
"If we completely go under the sanctions, we will not let a single drop of oil pass through the Hormuz Strait," said Arsalan Fathipour, head of the Economic Commission of the Iranian Majlis.
Western countries say Iran is manufacturing nuclear weapons under the guise of a peaceful nuclear energy programme. Tehran denies the allegations.
In January, the European Union (EU) approved new sanctions against Tehran, which prevent EU member states from buying Iranian crude. The sanctions went into effect July 1.
The US imposed a new set of sanctions of its own in June, targeting financial institutions of any country that buys Iranian oil. However, Washington exempted 20 countries from the sanctions for a period of 180 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH