Iran warns local media on sanctions reports
Tehran: Iran`s culture minister is warning domestic media to avoid reporting on the impact of international sanctions that could harm Iran`s interests in its ongoing economic battle with the West.
The statement is a rare official acknowledgement of efforts to control information about possible economic troubles from the sanctions over Iran`s nuclear ambitions.
Mohammad Hosseini, whose ministry oversees the media, is quoted on Wednesday as saying the tightening sanctions require cooperation from the media "so that the country is not hurt”.
The warning apparently does not refer to foreign media outlets, which already work under tight restrictions. The comments come days after the European Union imposed an embargo on Iran`s vital oil sector.
The US and its allies accuse Iran of seeking nuclear weapons, a charge Tehran denies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred