Iran warns local media on sanctions reports
Tehran: Iran`s culture minister is warning domestic media to avoid reporting on the impact of international sanctions that could harm Iran`s interests in its ongoing economic battle with the West.
The statement is a rare official acknowledgement of efforts to control information about possible economic troubles from the sanctions over Iran`s nuclear ambitions.
Mohammad Hosseini, whose ministry oversees the media, is quoted on Wednesday as saying the tightening sanctions require cooperation from the media "so that the country is not hurt”.
The warning apparently does not refer to foreign media outlets, which already work under tight restrictions. The comments come days after the European Union imposed an embargo on Iran`s vital oil sector.
The US and its allies accuse Iran of seeking nuclear weapons, a charge Tehran denies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan