Iran warns local media on sanctions reports
Tehran: Iran`s culture minister is warning domestic media to avoid reporting on the impact of international sanctions that could harm Iran`s interests in its ongoing economic battle with the West.
The statement is a rare official acknowledgement of efforts to control information about possible economic troubles from the sanctions over Iran`s nuclear ambitions.
Mohammad Hosseini, whose ministry oversees the media, is quoted on Wednesday as saying the tightening sanctions require cooperation from the media "so that the country is not hurt”.
The warning apparently does not refer to foreign media outlets, which already work under tight restrictions. The comments come days after the European Union imposed an embargo on Iran`s vital oil sector.
The US and its allies accuse Iran of seeking nuclear weapons, a charge Tehran denies.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai