Iran`s ex-president softens stance toward Israel
Tehran: Iran`s influential former president has expressed a softer stance toward the country`s archenemy Israel in sharp contrast to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad` typical anti-Israel remarks.
Several Iranian newspapers, including the pro-reform Shargh daily, on Monday quoted Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani as saying, "We are not at war with Israel."
The remark is seen as part of growing calls by high-profile Iranian politicians, including potential presidential candidates, to repair Iran`s image abroad. Ahmadinejad`s comment in 2005 that Israel should be destroyed prompted an international outcry.
Last week, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf Tehran mayor who is considered a potential candidate in the June presidential election said the president`s anti-Jewish remarks have damaged Iran.
Rafsanjani has not said whether he plans to run in the election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH