Iran`s ex-president softens stance toward Israel
Tehran: Iran`s influential former president has expressed a softer stance toward the country`s archenemy Israel in sharp contrast to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad` typical anti-Israel remarks.
Several Iranian newspapers, including the pro-reform Shargh daily, on Monday quoted Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani as saying, "We are not at war with Israel."
The remark is seen as part of growing calls by high-profile Iranian politicians, including potential presidential candidates, to repair Iran`s image abroad. Ahmadinejad`s comment in 2005 that Israel should be destroyed prompted an international outcry.
Last week, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf Tehran mayor who is considered a potential candidate in the June presidential election said the president`s anti-Jewish remarks have damaged Iran.
Rafsanjani has not said whether he plans to run in the election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre