Iran`s new FM makes first international appearance
Istanbul: Iran`s new Foreign Minister Ali
Akbar Salehi on Wednesday made his first international appearance as
he joined regional counterparts for economic cooperation talks
Salehi, also Iran`s nuclear chief, made brief
welcoming remarks for the participants as his country handed
over the rotating presidency of the Economic Cooperation
Organisation (ECO) to Turkey.
Meeting at an Ottoman palace at the bank of the
Bosphorus, foreign ministers and senior officials from the 10
member states were to prepare the ground for tomorrow`s summit
of their leaders, to be attended also by Iranian President
Salehi was appointed foreign minister last week after
Ahmedinejad sacked Manouchehr Mottaki in a surprise move
signalling an apparent falling out over nuclear policy.
Ahmadinejad was expected to arrive in Istanbul late
today and meet behind closed doors with Turkish Prime Minister
Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
The visit of the Iranian pair comes ahead of a second
round of talks between Iran and the 5+1 group of world powers
over Tehran`s nuclear programme, to be held in Istanbul next
Efforts to end the row will be "naturally" on the
agenda of bilateral talks between Turkish and Iranian
officials on the sidelines of the ECO summit, a Turkish
Turkey`s Islamist-rooted government has established
close ties with Tehran, insisting on a diplomatic solution to
the nuclear row and reluctant to back a tougher line against
the Islamic republic, its eastern neighbour.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory