Iraq: Five killed in attacks
Baghdad: Bomb and gun attacks in Iraq,
including four bombs at the home of an anti-Qaeda militia
leader, killed five people and wounded 13 others on Saturday,
security officials said.
The bomb blasts struck the home of Yassin Issa Daud, a
leader of Sahwa (Awakening) militia in Taji, north of Baghdad,
about 6:30 am (0330 GMT), Taji police Captain Ahmed Fahad
The explosions killed three people, including Daud`s
brother and wife, and wounded six other people, Fahad said,
adding that Daud was not home at the time.
Officials from the interior and defence ministries put
the toll at four killed and 11 wounded.
"Four people were killed and 11 others wounded by the
explosion of four roadside bombs that targeted the house of a
Sahwa leader in Taji," the interior ministry official said.
The defence ministry official gave the same toll.
Yesterday, a suicide bomber and a car bomb targeted
Sahwa militiamen near Baquba, north of Baghdad, killing five
people and wounding 26, an army officer and a doctor said.
The Sahwa are made up of Sunni tribesmen who joined
forces with the US military against al Qaeda from late 2006,
helping turn the tide of the insurgency.
Amir al-Khuzai, adviser to the prime minister for
reconciliation affairs, said the Sahwa once numbered about
87,000, but that more than 40,000 of them are still awaiting
promised public sector jobs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore