Iraq presidency claims progress in stroke recovery
Baghdad: The office of Iraq`s ailing president says he is making progress in a German hospital recovering from a stroke last month.
A brief statement Saturday described the health situation of Jalal Talabani as "reassuring" and says his medical team has started rehabilitation. It did not give more details on his condition.
Talabani, a 79-year-old senior Kurdish leader, was flown to Germany for treatment more than two weeks ago.
The statement was responding to a late Friday report in the French newspaper Le Figaro that described the president as "clinically dead." Talabani`s office described the report as "totally baseless."
The president`s illness has injected more uncertainty into the country`s political future, as unrest grows in Iraq`s Sunni areas over detainees held by the Shiite-led government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'