Iraq vote to be held March 6: Electoral Commission
Baghdad: Iraq`s parliamentary elections will be held on March 6, a senior election commission official told on Tuesday, after a meeting between election organisers and the country`s presidency council.
"The presidency council decided on March 6, 2010," said Qassim Abboudi of Iraq`s Independent High Electoral Commission, adding that the council, made up of President Jalal Talabani and his two deputies, would soon confirm the announcement by issuing a statement.
"We have no problem holding it on the 6th, as long as it is after the 27th (February), which we have decided we are able to do."
February 27th was ruled out as a potential election date because it coincides with a Shiite religious ceremony.
The announcement of the election date comes just two days after MPs struck a last-minute deal to get the poll back on track, after two months of protracted negotiations over a law governing the poll.
The election is seen as a crucial step towards consolidating Iraq`s democracy and securing a complete US military exit by the end of 2011, as currently planned.
It had been originally slated for January 16 but had to be delayed because of the wrangle over the election law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray