‘Iraqi raid on Iranian exile camp killed 7’
Baghdad: An Iraqi raid on an Iranian opposition group`s camp north of Baghdad killed seven people, according to a police officer and members of the exile group.
A standoff at the camp continued for a second day on Wednesday.
However, some Iraqi government officials denied any deaths in the operation at Camp Ashraf and the casualty reports could not immediately be independently verified.
The camp housing members of the People`s Mujahedeen Organisation of Iran is located in a dangerous area and Iraqi authorities prevented reporters from gaining access on Wednesday.
About 3,500 ex-Iranian fighters and relatives live in the camp, first set up in 1986 when they helped Saddam Hussein in the Iraq-Iran war. After the US invasion of Iraq in 2003, American troops disarmed the fighters and confined them to the camp.
The Americans handed over responsibility for the camp to the Iraqis to comply with a security agreement that took effect on January 1 but said they would maintain a force nearby to ensure humane treatment of the Iranians.
Tensions rose as the Iraqi government stepped up efforts to get the group to leave the country in a friendly gesture to close ally Iran, which considers the exiles part of a terrorist group.
Iran thanked the Iraqi government for the raid.
"Yesterday, we heard of the Iraqi government raid on Camp Ashraf," said Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani. "This is appreciated, that the Iraqi government decided to clean Iraq from the dirty presence of terrorists," he said.
Raid a `crime against humanity`
Meanwhile, the main Iranian resistance movement in exile has condemned a raid by Iraqi forces on their supporters` last main base camp, calling it a "crime against
"Attacking besieged people with no means of defence is a crime against humanity," Maryam Rajavi, president of the National Council of Resistance of Iran, told a news conference in Rome after riot police clashed with Iranian exiles in the Iraqi town of Ashraf.
The group accuses Baghdad of taking orders from Tehran.
About 100 Iranian exiles demonstrated outside the Parliament building in Rome where Rajavi was speaking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced