Iraqis out in force for Hakim funeral
Najaf: Thousands of Iraqis took to the
streets of Najaf today for the funeral of powerful Shiite
politician Abdel Aziz al-Hakim, as his body arrived in the
southern shrine city.
Hakim`s coffin, draped in an Iraqi flag, was earlier
paraded in the nearby holy Shiite city of Karbala, where
crowds also gathered ahead of a funeral ceremony expected to
take place in Najaf around 3.00 pm (1730 IST).
Hakim, 60, who died in a Tehran hospital on Wednesday
after a 28-month battle against lung cancer, was hailed as
"leader of the fight" against the tyrannical reign of ousted
dictator Saddam Hussein, when his body arrived home yesterday.
The former head of the Supreme Iraqi Islamic Council
(SIIC), Iraq`s largest Shiite political party, was one of the
principal leaders in exile of the opposition to Saddam, who
waged a devastating 1980-88 war against Iran.
In 1982, Hakim helped to establish an opposition
movement in Iran against Saddam`s Sunni-dominated regime and
only returned to Iraq following the US-led invasion of 2003.
A scion of one of the traditional leading families
among Iraq`s Shiite majority, Hakim took over the leadership
of his party in August 2003 after his brother Ayatollah
Mohammed Baqr al-Hakim was assassinated in Najaf.
Their father, Grand Ayatollah Mohsen al-Hakim, was one
of Shiite Islam`s top spiritual leaders between 1955 and 1970.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'