Iraq`s Kurds set for vote amid tensions with Baghdad
Arbil (Iraq): Iraq`s autonomous Kurdish
region goes to the polls on Saturday to elect a President and
a Parliament amid a simmering land dispute with Baghdad and
rising tensions over oil exports that could lead to armed
Incumbent president Massud Barzani is widely expected to
be returned to office while his Kurdistan Democratic Party
(KDP) and Iraqi President Jalal Talabani`s Patriotic Union of
Kurdistan (PUK) are likely to sweep the legislative poll, in
which more than 2.5 million Kurds are eligible to vote.
The two parties, which have dominated the region`s
politics for decades, have presented a joint list, mostly of
new candidates in a bid to present an image of renewal, but
face a number of challengers seeking to break their
More than 100,000 Kurdish members of Iraq`s armed forces
were voting today, along with police, prisoners and the sick,
ahead of election day.
"I`m very happy to be exercising my democratic right,"
said soldier Hadi Sultan, 33, as he cast his ballot at a
polling station in the capital, Baghdad.
Saturday`s main vote is being held six months after the
rest of Iraq held provincial elections and as the US military
is planning its pullout from the country in 2011.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know