Irish PM Cowen wins confidence vote
Dublin: Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen`s
ruling party says their leader has won a confidence vote of lawmakers and will lead them into a spring election.
Cowen`s Fianna Fail party says that Cowen won yesterday
night`s confidential vote versus his only challenger, Foreign
Minister Micheal Martin.
To win, Cowen needed to receive a majority of votes from
Fianna Fail`s 71 lawmakers. Because it was a secret ballot,
each vote was recorded and then the ballot paper destroyed. No
final vote figures were announced, only a victor.
Cowen sought the confidence vote after suffering months
of speculation that he would be forced to resign before an
expected spring election. Fianna Fail has fallen to a
record-low 14 per cent in recent opinion polls.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- ISI plotting terror attacks on India in December: Sources