Irish PM Cowen wins confidence vote
Dublin: Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen`s
ruling party says their leader has won a confidence vote of lawmakers and will lead them into a spring election.
Cowen`s Fianna Fail party says that Cowen won yesterday
night`s confidential vote versus his only challenger, Foreign
Minister Micheal Martin.
To win, Cowen needed to receive a majority of votes from
Fianna Fail`s 71 lawmakers. Because it was a secret ballot,
each vote was recorded and then the ballot paper destroyed. No
final vote figures were announced, only a victor.
Cowen sought the confidence vote after suffering months
of speculation that he would be forced to resign before an
expected spring election. Fianna Fail has fallen to a
record-low 14 per cent in recent opinion polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday