Irish PM Cowen wins confidence vote
Dublin: Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen`s
ruling party says their leader has won a confidence vote of lawmakers and will lead them into a spring election.
Cowen`s Fianna Fail party says that Cowen won yesterday
night`s confidential vote versus his only challenger, Foreign
Minister Micheal Martin.
To win, Cowen needed to receive a majority of votes from
Fianna Fail`s 71 lawmakers. Because it was a secret ballot,
each vote was recorded and then the ballot paper destroyed. No
final vote figures were announced, only a victor.
Cowen sought the confidence vote after suffering months
of speculation that he would be forced to resign before an
expected spring election. Fianna Fail has fallen to a
record-low 14 per cent in recent opinion polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- North Korea floats propaganda leaflets in river for 1st time
- WATCH: Chilling video of Gwalior road mishap and miraculous escape of two scooty riders
- 'Sultan' moment: Salman Khan, nephew Ahil clicked in wrestling mood
- Palestinian killed in exchange of fire with Israeli army
- Girl commits suicide after being ragged in Kerala, three final year students arrested